Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: piya

General :
Setback

default

 CantBeMeEither (original poster member #83223) posted at 6:05 AM on Sunday, September 6th, 2026

And things were going so well lately. In fact, I had a trigger a few days ago that I handled really well. Her uncle called me, and it was her uncle's BiL that we hired as a Realtor out of familial loyalty. The BiL referred us to the eventual AP (pocketing a referral fee I am sure for absolutely nothing).

So I don't like being reminded of that whole side of the family, even though what happened was not their fault, and the uncle nor his wife's brother have any idea about any of it.

But I was able to not let this ruin my week. I had a healthy attitude, and was able to remember that this was nearly 20 years ago, that I don't have to react to the triggers, and I can just move along in life.


But moments ago my wife and I had an argument about the D-Day. As a reminder, D-day was less than a week before our wedding. I was in shock, and went through with the wedding anyway. My wife tonight brought up that she feels I still punish her by having a bad attitude from time to time, and that I refused to have a honeymoon back then, and if I feel differently now she would like to know.

I said that sure I would go traveling with her, and I don't remember that I refused to go on a honeymoon, but that would seem like a natural consequence of what happened. "what do you think should have been the consequence?"

She hit the roof. She was right back to how it has been 20 years, and she will never be able to redeem herself in my eyes, and blah blah blah.

It's completely irrational of her to believe that there should have been zero consequences. I own, and owned to her, the fact that I rugswept so poorly in the first ten years that it resulted in a slow burn gaping wound that actually caused MORE consequences for both of us than if we would have dealt with it appropriately right away.

ANd I chose to reconcile and build a life with her, and should not treat her poorly. But that is not the same as saying there should have been no consequences.

Thanks for letting me vent.

posts: 79   ·   registered: Apr. 18th, 2023
id 8904941
default

WB1340 ( member #85086) posted at 5:54 PM on Sunday, September 6th, 2026

Just because it was 20 years ago doesn't mean you cannot get upset when you are reminded about the thing SHE did, that you learned about ONE WEEK before your wedding! And yes, bad choices have consequences. She willingly chose to cheat so now she gets to suffer the consequences. Or she can leave, she has that option.

Now, if you rage and call her a whore every time you are reminded of her affair, after 20 years IMO the rage should have dissipated BUT sadness and anger are normal and to be expected.

She should be happy and thankful every day that you didn't cancel the wedding and tell everyone what she did.

D-day April 4th 2024. WW was sexting with a married male coworker. Started R a week later, still ongoing...

posts: 665   ·   registered: Aug. 16th, 2024
id 8904953
default

 CantBeMeEither (original poster member #83223) posted at 2:01 AM on Wednesday, September 9th, 2026

I don't rage at all. I do see my mistake, though. I mistook her feeling overwhelmed with emotion for being mad AT ME.

SO I reacted to her being mad at me, and that became a self-fulfilling prophesy.

At root, she doesn't want to FOREVER be "branded" an adulteress, and doesn't want me to FOREVER be thinking poorly of her. Which I don't, but it would be nice to agree on where on the scale the right place is between "there should have been zero consequences" and "she is horribly tainted forever and ever and ever".

We talked it out, and one interesting thing is that even though she doesn't want to forever be branded, I will probably always see myself as "that guy"....

posts: 79   ·   registered: Apr. 18th, 2023
id 8905077
default

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 3:10 AM on Wednesday, September 9th, 2026

I going to say this gently because I haven’t decided which way this is—-but something to consider for yourself.

Consequences to one’s actions are natural.

Punishment can be natural, but it feels different.

If you feel like it was consequences because you didn’t have the right heart/mindset to share a vacation with her at that point, that’s a natural consequence.

The way you describe it here could loosely be interpreted by someone running high emotions as "I punished your actions by not going in a honeymoon." Or "you didn’t deserve a honeymoon.

I think either thing is valid, but a natural consequence is something someone understands as "this is how I made you feel" versus hearing we are having a title for tat. And it may boil down to the way you communicate around it.

I also think she is saying 20 years later "travel with Me" she is wondering if you feel she deserves it yet?

Again, I am not arguing you in your position more so I think there is a natural breakdown of communication due to this being a hot topic for both of you. Finding where the discrepancy is could result in a mutually fulfilling decision where you find a good solution that fits both of you.

[This message edited by hikingout at 3:12 AM, Wednesday, September 9th]

WS and BS - Reconciled

Mine 2017
His 2020

posts: 8934   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8905083
default

DRSOOLERS ( member #85508) posted at 9:36 AM on Wednesday, September 9th, 2026

When she spirals into statements like "I'll never be able to redeem myself," she is shifting the focus away from the reality of her past actions and onto her current discomfort with their lasting footprint. You chose to stay and build a life with her, but that does not mean signing a contract to pretend the betrayal never occurred or that it carries no long-term cost.

A short hand response would be something like; your actions have long term fallout. Ultimately if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

[This message edited by DRSOOLERS at 10:07 AM, Wednesday, September 9th]

Dr. Soolers - As recovered as I can be

posts: 521   ·   registered: Nov. 27th, 2024   ·   location: Newcastle upon Tyne
id 8905104
default

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 2:00 PM on Wednesday, September 9th, 2026

I see it differently from sooler . I know everyone is shocked.

A good reconciliation restores the balance in a marriage. I am considered as much as he is, and actually I consider myself a lot more than I used to. (But that’s how I had gotten so off track previously)

Is it in the fabric of our marriage? Yes. But not in I will have consequences for the rest of my life that are imposed by him.

However, I think cantbemeeither is saying they really didn’t go through the process. I don’t think it’s his intention to punish her either, even if that’s what she is feeling or thinking.

Reconciliation takes a lot of communication, and two people who can come at it with win-win mentality.

She needs to recognize expecting him to go in a honeymoon feeling as broken as he was at the time would have been a terrible experience. And while it was consequence he is not saying it was a punishment.

I do think she has shame she needs to address.

Shame is not an emotion, it’s the belief you are bad to the core and it makes you feel like other people know that about you. There is healing she needs to do around that so she doesn’t trigger and hear "you were bad and you should have been punished"

Remorse and guilt are healthy. They help shape our actions, build our empathy. But shame create this defensiveness because it touches that deep belief in them.

There is nothing the OP can do to change that. I would encourage not allowing himself to be shut down by that. And I was mostly suggesting that if he went back and had the conversation with the consequences versus punishment they might be able to move forward in working it through more. It sounds like that happened.

[This message edited by hikingout at 2:14 PM, Wednesday, September 9th]

WS and BS - Reconciled

Mine 2017
His 2020

posts: 8934   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8905118
default

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 3:33 PM on Wednesday, September 9th, 2026

The thing about consequences is that they are not necessarily commensurate with the violation.

Have you considered finding a good MC? Someone who can help both of you voice your thoughts and feelings about your M and her infidelity, help you understand each other on this issue, help you not flood?

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
d-day - 12/22/2010 Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 32247   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8905126
default

truthsetmefree ( member #7168) posted at 3:03 AM on Thursday, September 10th, 2026

Y’all are discussing behaviors (and just kinda, at that) when it seems like it’s the feelings that are the issue.

I don’t know your history or the tendencies of your WW. I can’t advise whether any discussion is worthy of effort. But it does seem like any beneficial one will need to start with the feeling part. All the rest is just narrative creation.

Hope has two beautiful daughters; their names are Anger and Courage. Anger at the way things are, and Courage to see that they do not remain as they are. ~ Augustine of Hippo

Funny thing, I quit being broken when I quit letting people break me.

posts: 9001   ·   registered: May. 18th, 2005
id 8905150
default

 CantBeMeEither (original poster member #83223) posted at 6:03 PM on Saturday, October 3rd, 2026

A week after this, we had ANOTHER conflict. This had to do with some kind of "dark romance" genre of music she was listening to. At its root, the lyrics are about women being seduced, ignoring red flags, plowing ahead with self-destructive sexual choices. She was a little put off by my interpretation. I am not trying to police her entertainment choices, but I am not going to sign off with approval on subject matter that in my mind glamorizes scenarios that fundamentally changed me for the worse.

AND THEN she told me about the romance novels she reads. She says she has always respected my boundary that she stay away from romance novels that touch on infidelity.... that I feel is not too much to ask, even if it is fiction. (I present it like if a person who had a loved one murdered in the past has a spouse who suddenly starts consuming pro-crime fiction)

Some of the novels she DOES read, however, have to do with non-exclusivity in other contexts. She was eager and willing to have me spell out exactly what is ok and not ok, but that to me is a red flag in itself? I can't possibly outline every ok/not ok scenario, and to leave it on me to try to devise some kind of Willie Wonka contract raises suspicions. Of what? I don;t think she would ever physically cheat again...but again, asking her to not consume content that diminishes the pain of something that happened to us..that's not too much to ask. I think.

She began to see my point of view, and we were better than ever, for exactly 2 weeks, until this Cornell university thing came along, and again that raises the questions of consequences of risky behavior, differing levels of culpability when weighed against vulnerability, drunkenness, temptation, pressure, and a series of bad choices.

Most of all, I am tired of having to argue my feelings into existence.

posts: 79   ·   registered: Apr. 18th, 2023
id 8906876
default

torso1500 ( member #83345) posted at 6:59 PM on Saturday, October 3rd, 2026

This is not meant to diminish how you feel, your feelings are always valid.

That said, you claim you are not trying to police her choices, then immediately after you talk about "signing off" on what media she consumes. Be honest with yourself about what your boundaries are, and remember boundaries are about what you do, not changing what she does.

I am confused about non-exclusivity "in other contexts" - as written it reads like this is non-exclusivity in scenarios other than infidelity? IMO that would be quite unreasonable to ban this. To me going into "other contexts" would certainly require you to detail what is okay and not okay with you.

Can you explain more why her wanting you to spell out what is ok or not ok to consume is a red flag? That seems like the "best" possible response you could get to your desire for her to consume media you sign off on based on your determination about what is acceptable.

posts: 101   ·   registered: May. 16th, 2023
id 8906878
default

 CantBeMeEither (original poster member #83223) posted at 7:43 PM on Saturday, October 3rd, 2026

1) "signing off" : Giving my affirmative approval is what I meant by signing off, which I don't think of as the same as policing. She doesn't really need my approval.

2) "remember boundaries are about what you do, not changing what she does." yes, great point

3) "non-exclusivity in scenarios other than infidelity?" I am learning there is a whole world out there in the new media of AI generated romance movies. Harems, reverse harems, and God knows what else.

4) "her wanting you to spell out what is ok or not ok" once it is incumbent upon me to in advance consider all the permutations of what is OK and not OK, figuring out legalistically how to close all the loopholes... I feel like its all a trick and if I miss something then it is my fault.

It reminds me of the beginning of how this all started. I was out of town, and she asked if she could still go with the realtor to the traditional closing celebration dinner. Had I known they had been flirting already, I wouldn't have said yes, eagerly and happy she was getting needed social time. What am I going to miss this time, I fear.

posts: 79   ·   registered: Apr. 18th, 2023
id 8906879
default

torso1500 ( member #83345) posted at 12:01 AM on Sunday, October 4th, 2026

On policing, I can see where you're coming from. But, she has a thing she'd do if not for your disdain for it. I'm just pointing out that the impact from you acting on how you expressed this issue is indistinguishable from policing.

With the preface that I'm not sure going down the road with the media consumption is ultimately a great idea:

The thing about it is however you define it, the boundary around media consumption is founded in YOUR thoughts on what is acceptable. She is not in your head, so I do think that it would be incumbent on you to describe the boundary line in a way she can understand. If I put myself in her shoes, it seems impossible to both be getting dinged for consuming certain media, but I'm also the problem for asking what's off limits with you. I would be more understanding if it were something as straightforward as "no infidelity stories/roleplay" but you want to include other things...it IS fair to define it.

I wonder if the deeper layer here is the "she isn't in your head" issue. I hear you that you feel these things, you have these triggers, and the relationship environment isn't honoring it the way you need. Maybe what you're really hoping for it is for her to think the way you do/respond to the world or at least this concept the way you do?

----

Another approach to this is to consider her not only consuming this media but discussing it with you evidence of continued wayward thinking. It's possible she cannot or will not ever truly understand the problem the way you do. Boundaries are what YOU do, so what is your boundary when it comes to this continued behavior? Under this paradigm, I see the idea of back and forth on what the rules are around her media consumption as a red flag, but not in the way you've described. It's a red flag that the fundamentals aren't there, and that's why you're even thinking about getting into that.

[This message edited by torso1500 at 12:12 AM, Sunday, October 4th]

posts: 101   ·   registered: May. 16th, 2023
id 8906884
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy